July 09, 2020

I am just blardy lazy


When I quit a good paying job and sort of “retired” at a rather early age, taking things easier at my own pace … many were surprised. They asked … how can one stopped working so early with two young children, house mortgages, loans and other financial commitments … unless he is loaded, very loaded.

And many people speculate … yes, many of my peers and even some of my closest friends were thinking that I must have tons of money stashed up somewhere. Some said I was dabbling in some online ventures, while others thought that I may have made big money in the fish spa business that were very popular at that time. A few simply said … “kena” lottery jorrr.

At that time, I wrote … “How much is enough?” … trying to tell people that I really don’t need a lot.

Lately, a long time family friend came to visit and we were talking about our lives, living, children, health, activities and all that. Somewhere in the conversation, he said to me … “Shiek, you must have a lot … your children go to private school/university, you have no worries , no house mortgages or loans and free from financial woes”

I told him like I told everyone else …”I have enough”

Now, the million dollar question is … how much is enough?

I can stop working at a rather early age because I stopped chasing. I decided to opt out of the race to chase for position, recognition and possession.

I do not have any more house mortgages because I did not buy or change new house. All my peers are now living in a bigger, better, cozier and much more expensive houses than me. I am still living in a one-storey house that I bought more than two decades ago ... the roof is leaking, re-painted over a dozen of times and filled with DIY furniture and fixtures.

I did not buy a new car … instead I bought a stubborn 24 years old "pre-loved" Proton Wira so I can use some of the money left to put my kids into good tertiary education and sad to say, I only have enough to afford them in local universities.

While other post photos of their lunches and dinners and other culinary experiences at hotels, restaurants and popular renown outlets … my family and I ate mostly at home. I only have photos of my home cooked recipes and occasional photos of “fish ball” noodles in Mahkota Cheras and “laksa” at Madras Lane to show on social media.

Many of my friends traveled to popular exotic attractions around the world … I went to Can Tho, Surat Thani, Palembang and a few fairly cheap places in the region that many have not even heard before.

OK, I have said this many times and I say it again … don’t get me wrong ya … there is nothing wrong in chasing for success, recognition and possession. Many people successfully built their careers and lives by working very hard chasing for opportunities. They will enjoy the fruits of their successes … they have every right to show their successes with better living, better lifestyles, luxuries and pleasures.
 
So, how much is enough? It depends.

Everyone has a different yardstick to measure how much is enough … there is no right or wrong to it. Of course one will have to work harder if you want better and if you want more.

You see, I am a lazy fella and you know what? My boss used to say … if you have difficult or complicated problems to solve, give it to Shiek … he will definitely find the easiest way out.

Now having said that … I am not saying that I am not hard working. Just not so hard working like many of my peers … some who are still chasing their dreams. For me, I am too lazy to dream now … I seek the easy way out … I look for memories.

I stopped working long time ago not because I am loaded or I have some big online businesses or I “kena” lottery jorrr. It is because my yardstick to measure how much is enough for me and my family is short … very very short.

Or in other words … I am just blardy lazy.


0 comments:

Post a Comment